Although keeping weight in check can be a tall order in this day of dollar menus and smartphones, it’s well worth the effort. The cancer benefits alone are huge. When the impact on heart disease, diabetes, blood pressure, and good old-fashioned quality of life are added, the benefits become enormous. Try these simple steps:
- Exercise, exercise, exercise. Being active is one of the best ways of controlling weight.
- Watch the calories. It sounds simple, but it’s worth saying: calories matter when in comes to weight gain and weight loss. When you sit down for a snack or meal, take some time to think about how much you’re eating and when you’ve had enough.
- Weigh yourself – every day. Weighing yourself regularly can help you keep on track with your weight goals.
- Go Mediterranean. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy oils (like olive oil) can make you feel full, help regulate your appetite, and actually taste really good.
- Choose smaller portions and eat more slowly. Slow down and give your body a chance to feel full before you move on to seconds.
- Be a mindful eater. Food is big business, its main goal is to get you to eat. Try to listen to what your body is telling you, not what the food business wants you to hear.